While being an awesome feature introduced in SQL Server 2012, Availability Groups were always missing the ability to synchronize server-level objects between replicas. This finally changed 10 years later, in SQL Server 2022, with the introduction of “Contained Availability Groups”.
A contained availability group is an Always On availability group that supports:
- managing metadata objects (users, logins, permissions, SQL Agent jobs etc.) at the availability group level in addition to the instance level.
- specialized contained system databases within the availability group.
In this session, you will:
- learn about the similarities, differences, and functionalities of contained availability groups.
- see a live demo of the creation and usage of a contained availability group.
- learn how to work with the feature of contained availability groups and its pros and cons.
Download Slides Deck
This session was delivered at the following events:
- Data Platforms GlobalHebrew (July 25th, 2022) (YouTube recording)
- Future Data Driven Summit 2022 (September 28th, 2022)
- Dativerse #2 (October 11th, 2022)
- SQL Friday #95 (November 11th, 2022) (YouTube recording)
If you want me to deliver this session at an event that you’re organizing, whether it’s an online or venue event, please fill out the form below. Thanks!